Dangers of Messy Gutters
A handful of issues will build when your gutters go without cleaning for long periods.
- Foundation Damages– When gutters begin to leak, they can cause pools of water to build that sit right on the foundation. Foundation damages are extensive and often costly to repair due to the ruined critical infrastructure.
- Roof Damages – Water that builds and sits in the gutters can start to soak the soffit and parts of the roof. Fixing roof damages is far more expensive than simply keeping the gutters clean.
- Ice Dams – Puyallup may not be the coldest climate, but ice can still build inside gutters. Ice dams will form when water doesn’t flow during freezing temperatures and cause more damage to gutters.
- Exterior Wall Damage – Gutters distribute water to help the house stay as dry as possible. When gutters are clogged, water will spill over and heavily absorb into the exterior walls causing damage.
Signs the Gutters Need Cleaning
Gutters are an afterthought when performing regular home maintenance and inspections. It is obvious that your gutters need cleaning, so it can be too late to avoid the associated risks.
Look for some of these indicators to know when to find a gutter cleaning service in Puyallup:
Weight from over-saturated debris will cause gutters to start sagging over time. The rainy season lasts for over half the year in Puyallup, and the weight will begin to build.
On a dry day, look around the house and take note of the exterior wall conditions. Any noticeable staining on the exterior walls is likely from water dripping from the clogged gutters.
Critters and Birds
When debris builds up in the gutters, some smaller critters will use these piles as a form of shelter. Additionally, if you notice birds picking in the gutter, they are likely picking up materials for their nests.
Benefits of Keeping Clean Gutters
Homeownership is already expensive, and unexpected damages can pop up at any moment is costly and dangerous. Regular home inspections and maintenance help avoid problems, saving money through the years.
The damages caused by clogged gutters are typically slower to build, resulting in extensive issues later down the line. Keeping your gutter clean will let you enjoy the benefits of:
- Reduced Pest Activity- Moisture is one of the main reasons pests infest homes. Lowering overall moisture around the entire house makes pests less likely to appear.
- Save Foliage & Yard- Water can aggressively pour over the side of a clogged gutter, causing significant damage to plants. Additionally, uneven water distribution around the yard can cause excessive pooling and overwater ruining foliage.
- Flooding- Keeping gutters clean will help water flow away from the house, avoiding the risk of flooding, especially for homes with basements.
The Problem with DIY Gutter Cleaning
It is tempting to try and clean the gutters on your own, but there are some points to consider first.
Damages to the Gutter
The risk of damaging or breaking the gutters increases exponentially when not cleaned out by a professional. Additionally, many cheaper services use high-powered pressure washers to clean gutters which can expedite wear and tear. A professional service will identify worn areas and understand how to care for them properly.
Not only will a professional gutter cleaner get the job done right, but they will be insured if anything happens. Unfortunately, more minor gutter cleaning services are not adequately insured, forcing homeowners to be liable for any damages caused during the service.